Cool Propane Facts

Being a Patterson Fuels customer you may be aware that we not only deliver heating oil and kerosene but we also deliver propane. Propane is one of the most versatile, cost-effective, and clean energy sources to heat your home with. In today’s blog, we thought we would go over some cool propane facts that you may or may not know. 

  1.  Propane is a three carbon alkane with a molecular formula of C3H8.  
  2. Although propane is a by-product of petroleum refining, it is most often a by-product of domestic natural gas processing. 
  3. 90% of the propane used in the United States is created domestically. The other three-quarters of the other 10% coming from Canada and Mexico. 
  4. In its natural state, propane is a colorless and odorless gas. The rotten egg smell comes from a safety additive called mercaptan.
  5. Propane is stored and transported as a liquid because it is 270 times more compact in the liquid state as opposed to the gas state. 
  6. Liquid propane has a boiling point of -44° F.
  7. Propane is one of the lightest, most simple hydrocarbons to exist. This means it is one of the cleanest burning energies. Propane burns so clean it is not considered a greenhouse gas and has no impact on the atmosphere.
  8. Liquid propane weighs half as much as water. One gallon of propane weighs 4.2lbs. 
  9. Propane gas does not spill, pool, or leave behind a residue. This makes it harmless to the soil if your propane tank were to leak.
  10. Propane clothes dryers create less static and dry more quickly. This allows for less wear and tear on your clothes and overall time and money savings. 

Which fact did you find the most interesting? Are there any facts that completely surprised you?